Friday, August 12, 2011

A feeling of loss...

Tonight I was supposed to go out dancing, but I have a cold that makes me feel really crappy, so I decided to stay in and rest. As a result of my lack of dancing, I decided to watch a bunch of dance videos. I came upon my favorite guy to watch, Todd Yannacone, with his usual partner Naomi Uyuma. While I was watching them, I realized that I had lost something that they had. My favorite dance partner.

I know swing is a social dance, and I'm really good with that aspect, but no matter what, there's always going to be that one person with whom you have that awesome connection and with whom you wish you were dancing. It's almost like "you'll never forget your first love," but for me it's "you'll never forget your favorite dance partner" (although both of those happen to be one in the same haha). I never felt self-conscious when dancing with him, and I always felt like we could learn from each other. Whenever we were in a situation where we were performing, right as we took each others hands, the nerves went away.

I've found that I've lost a little bit of my passion for the dance because I let myself get too comfortable with one dance partner. Every now and then at a dance I'll be hoping he'll walk through that door and give me a great swingout like I'm used to. Since he never shows up at those dances (it's not really possible), I never feel quite as fulfilled with my nights of dancing like I used to.

What makes me feel better, though, is the fact that he feels the same. I texted him to let him know that they were playing "Moondance" at an Indian's game earlier this summer and he said that's when he realized that he wouldn't have me around all of the time for a good lindy and it made him kind of sad.

I know that I won't get to see him very often, a few times a year at most, but he and I both know that right when he arrives, I'll be ready to go right into a swingout and we'll dance just like we used to. Until then, I'm just going to keep working on my lindy and finding new people to dance with. Who knows, perhaps I'll even convert a new boy to lindy :)





No comments:

Post a Comment